Our mission is to foster knowledge and conservation of the oceanic marine environment
through research, education and awareness.
The Far Out Ocean Research Collective provides a platform for open ocean research and marine conservation. By combining science with technology, media, culture and community, we provide a holistic approach to oceanographic studies. Our key assets are the SV Manawanui, a 72ft ocean going sailing yacht and our team of highly skilled professionals. These enable us to facilitate effective long-term research projects on little known species and in poorly studied areas.
Our objectives are to:
- Conduct and support scientific research and knowledge of New Zealand’s oceanic ecosystems.
- Foster and advance strategies to effectively communicate research findings and implications not only to the scientific community and relevant management bodies but also the general public.
- Promote opportunities for professionals to engage with schools and communities to advance marine environmental education
- Advance research methodologies and technologies to increase effectiveness and reduce adverse research impacts.
- Provide scientific and logistical assistance to relevant groups and institutions for the purpose of furthering the aims of the trust
- Promote and respect the cultural values of kaitiakitanga of the oceanic environment of tangata whenua.